Annual Regulatory Plan
Executive Order No. 9 requires the Iowa Dental Board to annually submit a regulatory plan by August 1 listing each "regulatory action" (each potential rule currently under active consideration or development within the agency excluding those rules that do not have a substantial impact on the legal rights, privileges, or duties of persons) that the agency reasonably expects to issue in proposed or final form in that fiscal year or thereafter.
The purpose of the Board is to protect public health, safety, and welfare by administering, interpreting, and enforcing the provisions of law that relate to the practice of dentistry, dental hygiene, and dental assisting. In pursuit of this mission, the Board performs these primary functions:
- Administers examinations for the testing of dentists, dental hygienists, and dental assistants;
- Issues licenses, registrations, certificates, and permits to qualified practitioners;
- Sets standards for license, registration, and permit renewal and continuing education;
- Enforces Iowa laws regulating the practice of dentistry, dental hygiene, and dental assisting;
- Investigates complaints concerning violations of the dental practice act and rules;
- Conducts disciplinary hearings and monitors the compliance of licensees or registrants with Board orders; and
- Adopts rules and establishes standards for practitioners pursuant to its authority under the Iowa Code and administrative rules.
The Board's priorities for rule writing for FY 2012 are as follows:
- To fulfill any requirements imposed by the legislative session,
- To complete changes resulting from administrative and judicial decisions,
- To address public health issues.
- To update or rescind rules that are outdated.
Potential rules in FY 2012 include:
Iowa Dental Board
|Chapter # and Title (Subject)||Iowa Administrative Code 650--Chapters 1-51|
|Description of Action, Reason & Alternatives||
The regulatory plan for FY’2012 is to review and update, as needed, all Board rules. Administrative and substantive changes may include:
|Legal Basis for Action||Iowa Code 17A, 147, 153, 272C|
|Schedule for Action||Notice in August 2012|
Melanie Johnson - (515) 281-6935
Any questions or comments regarding the plan should be addressed to:
Agency Rules Administrator
Iowa Dental Board
400 SW 8th Street
Des Moines, IA 50309-4687