What the Board Does
The Board has jurisdiction over the following:
1. Administering the campaign laws in Iowa Code chapter 68A as applied to candidates for state and local office and state and local ballot issues, including permissible and impermissible financing of campaigns, receipt of reports and statements, use of campaign funds, "paid for by" attributions, and campaign signage. The Board gives advice and enforces violations of the campaign laws and Board's rules on campaigning.
2. Receiving copies of federal campaign finance disclosure reports by maintaining a link between the Board's Web site and the Federal Election Commission's Web site where the federal reports are posted. The Board also receives copies of personal disclosure forms filed by Iowa federal elected officials and posts the forms on the Board's web site.
3. Administering the ethics laws in Iowa Code chapter 68B as applied to candidates for statewide office and officials and employees of the executive branch of state government including receiving reports regarding dual compensation, consents for sales/leases by regulatory agencies and the Governor's Office, and personal financial disclosure statements. The Board gives advice and enforces violations of the gift law, conflicts of interest, post state employment, and use of state resources.
4. Providing advice to local government personnel concerning the application of the ethics laws in Iowa Code chapter 68B, but not investigating complaints or imposing sanctions against such personnel (these complaints go to the county attorney where the accused resides). Board advice, if followed, constitutes a defense to a complaint.
5. Enter into agreements with local political subdivisions of government to enforce codes of ethics adopted by the subdivisions.
6. Administering the lobbying laws in Iowa Code chapter 68B as applied to persons who lobby the executive branch of state government. The Board gives advice and enforces violations of state lobbying laws and Board's rules on executive branch lobbying. Lobbyists' registrations, clients' reports, session function registrations and reports shall be filed with the legislature. The Board provides links to the information on the Board's web site.
7. Receiving reports on all gifts and bequests received by an executive branch agency other than a Regents University pursuant to Iowa Code section 8.7. The Board then issues a report to the Fiscal Services Division of the Legislative Services Agency providing information concerning the gifts and bequests.
8. Investigates complaints received from the State Commissioner of Elections to determine whether a supervisor district plan adopted pursuant to Iowa Code section 331.210A was drawn for improper political reasons as set out in Iowa Code section 42.4(5).
9. Receive copies of reports filed with the IRS by 527 committees that engage in certain campaign activities in Iowa.