Crime Victim Assistance Division
Victim Services Grant Program
The Crime Victim Assistance Division administers grant funds that provide partial funding to local and statewide crime victim service programs in Iowa.
- Federal Victims of Crime Act (VOCA) Grant - funds are awarded by the U.S. Department of Justice, Office for Victims of Crime. These funds consist of fines and penalties assessed against federal criminal offenders.
- Violence Against Women Act (VAWA or VW) – funds are awarded by the U.S. Department of Justice, Office on Violence Against Women. Congress appropriates the funds annually.
- Federal Family Violence Prevention & Services Act Grant (FVP&SA) - funds are awarded by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Community Services, Administration for Children and Families. Congress appropriates the funds annually.
- Iowa’s Domestic Abuse (DA) and Sexual Abuse (SA)- funds are authorized by the Iowa Attorney General annually from the Victim Compensation fund. This fund is comprised of criminal fines and penalties.
- Statewide Domestic Abuse and Sexual Abuse Hotline - the State Domestic Abuse Hotline was established in 1992. The toll free number is 1-800-942-0333. The State Sexual Abuse Hotline was established in 1998. The toll free number is 1-800-284-7821. Both hotlines are funded by the State of Iowa.
Grant Application and Review Process
When grant funds become available from the state or federal government, a press notice is issued statewide. Requests for proposals (RFP) are sent to all interested applicants and victim service providers currently receiving funds from the CVAD.
The submitted proposals are reviewed and evaluated by a volunteer grant review committee. The committee is made up of persons with expertise in victim services, grant management, and public policy.
The review committee and CVAD staff submit their recommendations for funding to the Crime Victim Assistance Board.The Board determines final grant awards to the extent funds are available and to the extent the applicants meet eligibility criteria.
More information on grant eligibility, required grant certificates, and required grant reports.
For more information contact Donna Phillips.
Crime Victim Assistance Program
Attorney General's Office
Lucas Building, Ground Floor
Des Moines, Iowa 50319
Phone: (515) 281-5044
Toll Free: (800) 373-5044
Fax: (515) 281-8199