At the December 15 decision meeting, the Iowa Utilities Board denied a portion of the utility’s requested rate increase and approved its proposals for rate mitigation measures. Customer refunds will also be implemented. Full and final details will be included in the Board’s written decision order to be issued at a later date. When it is issued, this order will be made available on the Board's EFS system, under Docket No. RPU-2010-0001. For more information, please read the December 15 news release.
On March 10, 2010, Alliant/IPL filed a petition seeking a permanent annual revenue increase of approximately $163 million (14 percent). As permitted by Iowa law, a temporary increase of about 10 percent ($119 million), not requiring pre-approval of the Iowa Utilities Board (IUB), was implemented on March 20, 2010. If the permanent rates granted are less than the temporary rates, customers will receive a refund plus interest for any over-collection. The impact on customer rates will vary according to customer class and rate zone. Eight customer comment meetings were held to allow verbal questions and comments to be directed to representatives of the utility, the IUB, and the Office of Consumer Advocate, which represents the general interests of customers in IUB proceedings.
Consumer comment meetings:
- Peosta - Wednesday, April 7 @ 1:30 pm. Peosta Community Center, 7896 Burds Road
- Marion - Wednesday, April 7 @ 6:30 pm. Kirkwood Training and Outreach Service Center (KTOS), 3375 Armar Drive
- Spirit Lake - Wednesday, April 14 @ 1:30 pm. Community Room, Dickinson County Courthouse, 1802 Hill Street
- Mason City - Thursday, April 15 @ 6:30 pm: NIACC Campus, Muse-Norris Conference Center, Room 180A, 500 College Drive
- Newton - Tuesday, April 20 @ 6:30 pm: Newton High School Auditorium, 800 East 4th Street South
- Osceola - Wednesday, April 21 @ 6:30 pm: Clarke High School Auditorium, 800 North Jackson
- Fort Madison - Tuesday, April 27 @ 1:30 pm: St. Mary’s Parish Center, 415 -11th Street
- Ottumwa - Tuesday, April 27 @ 6:30 pm. Ottumwa High School Auditorium, 501 East Second Street
The IUB’s decision meeting on permanent rates is scheduled for 9 a.m. on Wednesday, December 15, 2010. The final written order is expected by January 2011.