Renewable Energy: Wind
For more information, contact Scott Bents at 515-725-0430 or email.
- Iowa ranks second nationally in current wind generation output with 3,670 megawatts installed with 2,534 turbines (in 78 installations) across the state (AWEA 2010). Download the latest Wind Energy Fact Sheet as of July 6, 2010.
- Iowa leads the nation in wind generation as percentage of total power output at 17-20% (IUB 2010).
- Currently, 2,300 jobs are committed to wind manufacturing in Iowa, the most in the nation.
- Iowa is a magnet for wind energy manufacturing companies, attracted by Iowa’s strong manufacturing base, excellent transportation infrastructure and skilled workforce. As of February 2009, nine international manufacturing companies have located in Iowa (IDED 2009).
- More than 200 Iowa companies in 26 counties are now supplying the wind industry, generating more than $50 million in new revenue for Iowa companies annually. (IDED 2009)
- Five of Iowa’s community colleges and the three Regents institutions have formed the Iowa Alliance for Wind Innovation and Novel Development. (IAWIND). This alliance, which also includes representatives from the industry and state government, are working to identify and support the growing needs of the wind energy industry the state. Visit www.iawind.org
- The Iowa Power Fund is a $100 million grant resource dedicated to promoting and bolstering Iowa’s burgeoning wind industry through funding research and development, early commercialization, and innovation that leads to market transformation (Office of Energy Independence 2008).
- MidAmerican Energy Company is the national leader in ownership of wind generation among rate regulated utilities, with 1,284 MW of wind in Iowa.
- Iowa Lakes Community College offers a diploma and Associates Degree through their wind tech program. The first in the nation program provides graduates who will serve the industry in a variety of ways. (Iowa Lakes Community College 2008).
- In Iowa, projects under 25 MW (including wind projects), are generally exempt from generator certificate/siting proceedings and filings before the Iowa Utilities Board. For larger wind projects, the Iowa Utilities Board has exercised its authority and has waived the plant certification process for all wind projects to date that otherwise would have required a full permit proceeding.
- Iowa investor owned utilities (IOUs) have been able to request advance ratemaking decisions from the Iowa Utilities Board applicable to wind projects since 2003. Since then, Iowa IOUs have installed wind projects with capacity totaling 1,484 MW, which is over 40 percent of Iowa’s total wind capacity. Additional wind capacity up to 1,001 MW, has been approved. (CY2009 year end).
Iowa companies in wind industry:
- Clipper Windpower, Cedar Rapids
- John Deere Wind, Johnston (a major financier of wind farms)
- Siemens Power Generation, Ft Madison
- Acciona Energy, West Branch
- TPI Composites, Newton
- Sector 5 Technologies, Oelwein
- Heartland Energy Solutions, Mt Ayr
- Trinity Structural Towers, Newton
- Goian North America, Ankeny
- Generation Repair and Service, Story City
- Over 200 Existing Iowa Manufacturers in Turbine Supply Chain