The Iowa Board of Nursing conducts the following types of continuing education audits:
1. Random audit. A specific number of licensees are randomly selected for audit each month. The purpose of this audit is to determine whether the continuing education requirement has been met.
When renewing Online you may receive notification that you have been selected for an audit at the end of the renewal process.
2. Late renewal audit. Any licensee who renews within the 30 days after the license has expired will automatically be audited.
When renewing late Online you will receive notification that you must submit continuing education certificates to complete the late audit at the end of the renewal process.
3. Re-audit. If credit was obtained during the 30 days after the license has expired or the licensee submits make-up credit, the licensee will be scheduled for re-audit prior to the next renewal. The purpose of this audit is to ensure that credit obtained during those 30 days or make-up credit, is not used a second time.
4. Reactivations. All reactivation applications are reviewed prior to license reactivation to ensure that the continuing education requirement has been met within the previous 12 months.
5. Documentation of completion of the Mandatory Child and/or Dependent Adult Abuse Course will also be required with items #1-3 listed above.
If you are audited, you must submit documentation of completion of the continuing education requirement for renewal. The administrative rules require copies of completion certificates to document informal offerings; that is, a continuing education transcript is not acceptable for credit that has been awarded in terms of contact hours or CEUs. The rules require a copy of the academic transcript to document formal offerings; that is, a grade report is not acceptable for credit that has been awarded in terms of semester or quarter credit hours.
Failure to comply with the audit may result in disciplinary action.
Questions regarding audits: Telephone 515/281-8258 or email Email.
Reference: IAC 655, Chapter 5 - 5.2(5)