Criteria for Out of State Nursing Programs:
Out of state nursing programs approved by other state regulatory agencies shall be allowed to provide their nursing students clinical experiences in Iowa under the following guidelines:
- The university or college (institution) shall contact the Iowa College Student Aid Commission to determine whether it must apply for registration of the institution under Iowa Code chapter 261B and be granted approval to operate in Iowa.
- The post-licensure nursing student shall practice within the parameters of Iowa Code section 152 and 655 Iowa Administrative Code.
- The post-licensure nursing student enrolled in nursing courses with a clinical component shall have an active Iowa nursing license or is recognized for licensure in Iowa pursuant to the nurse licensure compact contained in Iowa Code chapter 152E.
- The Institution’s nursing faculty instructing or practicing in Iowa shall have an active Iowa nursing license or is recognized for licensure in Iowa pursuant to the nurse licensure compact contained in Iowa Code chapter 152E.
- The educational program should be aware of criteria for nursing educational programs operating in Iowa, as set forth in 655 Iowa Administrative Code chapter 2.
- The controlling institution, the nursing program or the head of the program shall submit data, information or materials per the request of the Iowa Board of Nursing.
At this time, it is not necessary to send any of the above information to the Iowa Board of Nursing, unless requested.