No W-2?
graphic that says Iowa 2005 expanded 1040 instructions
Questions? E-mail Us!
2005 Expanded Instructions Home
graphic to click to go to the department's web page of e-file choices
graphic to click to go to 2005 expanded instructions topic index
graphic to click to go to 2005 expanded instructions line index

What to do if you do not receive your W-2

Each year many Iowans do not get W-2s from their employers by the January 31 date required by the IRS.

  1. If you have moved, call your employer with your new address.
  2. If you still have a problem, first go back to your employer and try to find out why you have not received the W-2.
  3. You may also call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040. They will work with you and explain the steps needed to receive a substitute W-2.

    Iowa will accept a copy of the substitute W-2 filed with the IRS. However, the substitute W-2 may not show Iowa withholding. No credit for Iowa withholding can be given in this case unless you have pay stubs that show Iowa withholding.

  4. If you filed a return with the IRS for the year that you can’t find your W-2, you can fill out Federal form 4506 (request for copy of tax return). Your copy will include W-2’s and any State withholding tax. The cost is $39 for each year.