Injured Spouse
Questions? E-mail Us!
2006 Expanded Instructions Home
graphic link to Iowa Department of Revenue individual income tax e-filing choices
graphic link to topic index of 2006 Iowa individual income expanded instructions
graphic link to line index of 2006 Iowa individual income tax expanded instructions


“Injured spouse” is not recognized by the State of Iowa when using “married filing a joint return,” filing status 2, or “married filing separately on a combined return,” filing status 3.

If your spouse’s refund will be used to pay a Federal, state, county or city debt, you must use the IA 1040 Long Form, filing status 4, “married filing separate returns.” This will prevent your refund from being applied to your spouse’s debt.

"Debt" includes unpaid child support, college loans, tax, court fees and fines, and overpayments of ADC/FIP, food stamp, and unemployment.