No W-2?
Questions? E-mail Us!
2006 Expanded Instructions Home
graphic link to Iowa Department of Revenue individual income tax e-filing choices
graphic link to topic index of 2006 Iowa individual income expanded instructions
graphic link to line index of 2006 Iowa individual income tax expanded instructions

What to do if you do not receive your W-2

Each year many Iowans do not get W-2s from their employers by the January 31 date required by the IRS.

  1. If you have moved, call your employer with your new address.
  2. If you still have a problem, first go back to your employer and try to find out why you have not received the W-2.
  3. You may also call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040. They will work with you and explain the steps needed to receive a substitute W-2.

    Iowa will accept a copy of the substitute W-2 filed with the IRS. However, the substitute W-2 may not show Iowa withholding. No credit for Iowa withholding can be given in this case unless you have pay stubs that show Iowa withholding.

  4. If you filed a return with the IRS for the year that you can’t find your W-2, you can fill out Federal form 4506 (request for copy of tax return). Your copy will include W-2’s and any State withholding tax. The cost is $39 for each year.