Line 27
graphic that says Iowa 2002 expanded 1040 instructions
Questions? E-mail Us!
graphic to click to go to IDR web site graphic to click to go to IDR tax library graphic to click to search IRS Code graphic to click to go to IRS forms
graphic to click to go to Babel Fish translation software graphic to click to go to IDR e-file choices
graphic to click to go to 2002 expanded instructions topic index
graphic to click to go to 2002 expanded instructions line index




If you received a refund of Federal income tax during 2002, you must report the amount on this line. It must be reported even if you used the standard deduction on the prior year’s Iowa return. The Federal refund must be included on this line because you benefit from being able to deduct Federal taxes paid on the prior year's Iowa return which reduces your Iowa taxable income. Include the refund you received from your 2001 Federal tax return and any refunds received in 2002 for other years that were amended or filed late.

To find the amount of your Federal refund, contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040. This information is not available from the Iowa Department of Revenue and Finance.

If you chose to have any part of an overpayment of Federal income tax credited to estimated tax payments for 2002, the amount should be claimed as 2002 estimated tax paid on line 32. The total Federal overpayment must also be reported on line 27.

A refund of Federal tax received in 2002 is not reported if the tax was not deducted from Iowa income in a prior year. Some examples of instances in which you do not report a Federal refund are:

a. You are filing an Iowa return for 2002 for the first time because you moved into Iowa during the year.
b. The refund you received was from a year in which you did not take a deduction for the payment of Federal tax because your income was less than the minimum amount for paying Iowa tax or your tax for that year was calculated using the alternate tax computation.
c. Any part of the Federal refund due to the Federal Rate Reduction Credit, Earned Income Credit or the Additional Child Tax Credit is not reportable and should be subtracted from the total refund before entering the refund amount on line 27.
d. You were a nonresident for the tax year of the refund and were not required to file an Iowa return that tax year.

MARRIED SEPARATE FILERS: If the refund received in 2002 was from a jointly filed Federal return, it must be divided between the spouses in the ratio of the spouses’ net incomes in the year for which the refund was issued. Example: A 2001 Federal refund received in 2002 would be prorated using the spouses’ net incomes from the 2001 Iowa return.

(Examples of how to prorate)

Example of how to prorate:

Wife’s income is $10,500
Husband’s income is $15,500
Total: $26,000
Federal refund: $1,200

Divide wife’s income by total income: $10,500 divided by $26,000 = 40%
The husband’s income is, therefore, 60% of their combined income.

In this example, line 27 is $720 (60%) of the Federal refund for the husband, and $480 (40%) of the Federal refund for the wife.

Go to Line 26

Go to Line 28