Line 27
graphic link to 2008 Iowa income tax expanded instructions for 2008
Questions? E-mail Us!
2008 Expanded Instructions Home
graphic link to I-R-S Code
graphic image to translation web site
graphic link to Iowa e-file choices
graphic image to topic index of 2008 Iowa income tax instructions by topic
graphic link to 2008 Iowa income tax instructions by line number



If you received a refund of federal income tax during 2008, you must report the amount on this line. It must be reported even if you used the standard deduction on the prior year’s Iowa return. The federal refund must be included on this line because you benefited from being able to deduct federal taxes on the prior year's Iowa return which reduced your Iowa taxable income for that year. The amount reported on this line should not exceed the total amount of any federal tax deduction taken on the prior year(s) Iowa return.

Include the following:

  • The refund you received from your 2007 federal tax return
  • To find the amount you received, check your records or call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040. This information is not available from the Iowa Department of Revenue.

  • Any refunds received in 2008 for other years that were amended or filed late
  • Any portion of the federal refund received due to the motor vehicle fuel tax credit must be reported on the Iowa return.

If you chose to have any part of an overpayment of federal income tax credited to estimated tax payments for 2008, the amount should be claimed as 2008 estimated tax paid on line 32. The total federal overpayment must also be reported on line 27.

Do NOT include the federal refund in the following situations:

  • Do not include any part of the refund received from earned income credit, additional child tax credit, or economic stimulus rebate.
  • You are filing an Iowa return for 2008 for the first time because you moved into Iowa during the year. A refund of federal tax received in 2008 is not reported if the tax was not deducted from Iowa income in a prior year.
  • The refund you received was from a year in which you did not take a deduction for the payment of federal tax because your income was less than the minimum amount for paying Iowa tax or your tax for that year was calculated using the alternate tax computation.
  • You were a nonresident for the tax year of the refund and were not required to file an Iowa return for that year.

Married Separate Filers: If the refund received in 2008 was from a jointly filed federal return, it must be divided between the spouses in the ratio of the spouses’ net incomes in the year for which the refund was issued. Example: A 2007 federal refund received in 2008 would be prorated using the spouses’ net incomes from the 2007 Iowa return. NOTE: For purposes of reporting on line 27, the refund must be prorated in this manner even if the refund itself was divided between spouses in some other way, either by mutual agreement or other requirement.

(Examples of how to prorate)

Example of how to prorate:

Wife’s income is $10,500
Husband’s income is $15,500
Total: $26,000
Federal refund: $1,200

Divide wife’s income by total income: $10,500 divided by $26,000 = 40%
The husband’s income is, therefore, 60% of their combined income.

In this example, line 27 is $720 (60%) of the federal refund for the husband, and $480 (40%) of the federal refund for the wife.

Go to Line 26

Go to Line 28